HOW TO PREPARE YOUR SKIN FOR COLDER WEATHER
While we have yet to feel winter's wrath—let’s face it, it’s on its way. Cold temperatures, harsh winds, and dry air sap skin of its natural oils, leaving it dry, red and irritated. The best way to prep your skin for the harsh conditions and changing temperature is to start transitioning your skin care routine now. Getting a jump-start on windburn and dry air is one of the best ways to ensure your skin will look fresh and hydrated all season long.
“The change of seasons is always a stress on the skin and body in general,” says Dr. Doris Day, a dermatologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. “I often see people flaring with skin conditions at this time of year.”
Unfortunately, it’s not only the weather that can challenge your winter skin care. Stress around the holidays, changes in routine, and eating more sugar and fat than usual can cause more breakouts, tightness, and dullness.
To help keep your skin looking and feeling its best, here are some simple and effective strategies for optimum skin health.
- Get rid of bottled cleansers: Unfortunately, many of today’s cleansers and shampoos strip your skin of natural oils, dry it out, and can actually damage your skin, encouraging dryness, dullness, and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Our Natural, moisturizing Goat’s Milk Soaps (HERE) are gentle and nourish your skin. Check them out here. Our All Natural Shampoo Bars (HERE) are plant oil rich and free of the harsh chemicals that damage your hair and irritate your scalp.
- Exfoliate: Getting rid of those dead skin cells on the surface helps your moisturizer penetrate much better. Why hydrate dead skin? It also brings back that youthful glow. Try our our Sugar Whipped Body Scrub and our Natural Facial Scrub.
- Moisturize, often, especially before bed: It’s a fact that your winter skin will need extra attention. If you don’t moisturize now, start! If you usually use lotion, you may need to switch to a cream such as our Whipped Shea Body Butter that will replenish are repair. Our Hand and Body Lotions with goat's milk are great for all-over softness, especially after you shower.
- Protect: Your skin and lips need protection from the cold, harsh winter weather. Our Solid Lotion Bars and Natural Vegan Lip Balms are formulated with natural waxes that act as a barrier for the skin, holding in moisture.
- Repair: Even if you don’t feel the dryness, it’s there. Moisturizing every night, provides your skin with more nutrients so it can better withstand winter stress. Try our Whipped Shea Body Butter or Neem Cream.
- Use sunscreen: Winter weather may appear to be less sunny, but harmful UV rays are still out there, especially if you are an outdoor enthusiast. Always protect skin with a safe sunscreen like zinc oxide like our Sun Care Body and Facial Lotions.
- Avoid long showers: We all love steamy, hot showers, but, during the colder months, heat can dehydrate your skin.
Stick with a shorter scrub-down and apply a rich moisturizing cream or body butter HERE afterward, as well as face lotion HERE, to lock in hydration and keep your skin soft all day long.
- Drink more water and watch your diet: What you do and do not eat also has a huge effect on the way your skin looks, so to protect your skin before winter hits, drink plenty of water and keep nutrients high by loading up on vegetables and healthy fats.
Simple sugars and carbohydrates stimulate reactions in skin that can lead to psoriasis, eczema, acne and rosacea. Avoid these during your daily life and you’ll experience fewer setbacks when you indulge at the holidays.
- Use a humidifier: As winter comes, the air dries out. The dryer the air, the more it steals moisture from your skin. If you live in a dry climate, use a humidifier, particularly in your bedroom at night.
Posted on Fri, September 30, 2016
by Mary Wank filed under