Surprise your guests with the most delicious Healthy Brownies they’ll ever taste! We simple took our basic brownie recipe and added a dash of peppermint extract to the mix before we baked it and topped with crushed candy canes. It doesn’t get easier than that. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Brownies – Peppermint Twist
· 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· Dash of peppermint extract
· 1/2 teaspoon expresso powder
· 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa or baking cocoa; I prefer the flavor of Dutch-process
· 3 large eggs
· 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 cup chocolate chips, optional
· 1 cup chopped nuts - walnut or pecan, optional
· ½ cup crushed peppermint candy canes, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" square pan or 9" round pan; either should be at least 2" deep.
2. Place the sugar, butter, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl or saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring with a heatproof spatula until the butter melts and the mixture lightens in color. This step helps melt the sugar, which will give the brownies a shiny crust.
3. If you've heated the sugar and butter in a saucepan, transfer the mixture to a bowl; otherwise, just leave the hot ingredients right in their microwave-safe bowl. Blend in the vanilla, peppermint, cocoa, and expresso powder, then add the eggs and mix until shiny.
4. Blend in the flour and the baking powder. Stir in the chips and/or nuts, if you're using them and top with crushed peppermint candy.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it to the edges.
6. Bake the brownies for 33 to 38 minutes, until the top is set; and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or nearly so, with perhaps a few wet crumbs, or a tiny touch of chocolate at the tip of the tester.
7. Remove from the oven and cool for about 15 minutes before cutting. Once the brownies are cool, cover tightly with plastic.
Posted on Thu, December 17, 2015
by Mary Wank filed under